Brandy Melville: Can one size really fit all?




Brandy Melville is a clothing store for teenage girls, but the catch is...everything is "one size fits all." This is a load of bull's crap. There are some exceptions where a piece of clothing will have generic sizing, like XS, S or M, never really is there a L to select. Most clothes however are promoted as "one size fits all" or "fits size X-small/small." Although Brandy gets a lot of backlash for their sizing, girls will still spend every last penny they have on clothes from Bandy Melville.


When you go on their website you will see loads of trendy tops, skirts, pants, dresses, etc. Along with these clothes you will see a plethora of skinny, tall girls modeling the clothes for you. There is very little diversity in terms of body shape that Brandy uses.  

Image result for brandy melville

Yes, I am guilty to being one of the many teenage girls who shop at this store. However, it does bother me that they market their clothes as "one size fits all," because in no way, shape, or form is that true. Almost all the tops are SUPER tiny, unless it's a graphic tee. Also, the shorts and skirts are made with SUPER small waists sizes. Therefore, when they say "ones size fits all" it is a fat lie. In fact, if you are in a Brandy Melville store and ask an an employee about the sizing they will respond by saying, "one size fits MOST." Even the workers know that one size cannot fit all, so they are trained to say that it'll fit most body types, which still isn't true. 

One way I think this problem can be solved is if they would market themselves as a clothing store specifically catering to petite sizes. This is one reason why I shop at Brandy Melville, because I know that their clothes will fit me 90% of the time, and due to the fact that I am small, sometimes it is hard to find tops or skirts that fit me well from other stores. Just like how some stores cater to plus sizes, such as Lane Bryant or Torrid, if Brandy changed their marketing to say specifically for petite sizes I feel like it would get rid of some of the back lash they get for saying, "one size fits all." Or plain and simple they can make a wider variety of sizes just like any other store.

Ultimately, girls are still shopping there despite the sizing, so I feel it is hard for Brandy Melville to feel they need to make a change because they know girls will still buy their clothes even if it is branded as "one size fits all."

Comments

  1. I totally agree with you, I myself am found guilty wearing brandy melville as well. I have had friends who are upset over the fact they can’t wear brandy because it doesn’t fit and its unfair. They are trying to put a label as women should be in the range of these sizes but that’s not reality. People come in different sizes and shapes and saying that this is women’s societal standards its just wrong. Media has really put a turn on our standards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think Brandy Melville could do so much better by just making their clothing more suitable for all girls. I've noticed this for years and never thought they would be successful still while only making their clothes size small. I think it's embarrassing for the brand itself to not make changes. Although I am guilty of supporting this company by shopping form them as well too. I think the fact that they label their tags "one size fits all" is even worse because not everyone is size small of course. For those who don't fit their clothes, they probably feel very excluded because they don't fit into the "all" category and will degrade themselves based on Brandy's clothing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts