My Relationship With Media

As a teenager I think I can relate to many of my peers when I say media is a fun thing to have and be apart of, but I question sometimes if it is healthy for me. Do I spend to much time on social media? Yes, there is no doubt about that. With technology evolving every day it is hard not to be part of it. Given the fact that I am a 15 year old teenage girl living in a society where you are judged on your appearance, the amount of followers you have, and how many likes you get on a picture, it is easy to say that social media is a big part of my life.

I find myself checking my phone whenever I get the opportunity to. I like to use social media to keep up with what my friends are doing and daily news, but the amount of times I check for those things in one day is excessive. In addition to using media on my free time I also use it for school. Now and days teachers use media to update homework assignments, class agenda, and keeping students posted about due dates, test, etc. Therefore, this is one way I am "forced" to use media in my daily life.

To keep a long story short, my relationship with social media is patchy, meaning it is not bad nor is it good. I believe that I, and the rest of the world, would be better off without media, but I know that that is unrealistic to say. Thus, my solution to further enhance my relationship with media is to cut it out of my daily life in places where it is not needed. For example, I can start first by using my spare time to be productive with things like homework, instead of surfing the explore page on Instagram. Or I could try not to use it when I am with my friends and family and focus more on being in the moment. 

Comments

Popular Posts